Sunday, July 3, 2011
I became interested in the idea of a standing desk sometime around the beginning of this year. I spent some time shopping the vast array of options available, and was of course taken in by the shiny goodness of adjustable height desks that let you sit when you want to sit. Unfortunately, these are prohibitively expensive, and I already had a very nice (if cluttered) conventional desk, one which I really didn't want to throw in the garbage:
I thought about making a stand that would sit on top of it, but the idea got back-burnered (as ideas often do) while I attended to other matters.
The recent spate of articles regarding the detrimental health effects of sitting for long periods of time re-aroused my interest however, so I decided to give it a go. I ran to the local Home Depot and got a couple of pieces of 2'x4' plywood, 3/4" thick:
These got whacked into various-sized pieces for the design I had in my head...
And with a few bucks' worth of hardware I started marking out pilot holes for the screws.
I even made a little jig out of a piece of dowel rod to make sure I didn't drill through the boards into the carpet and thus start a marital holy war:
Once the drilling was complete, I screwed in the brackets, pounded in the little feet...
...and set it up:
I still need to figure out how I want to trim the front edges, and finish staining the various parts. I bought a piece of quarter-round, but I'm not sure I like it. So it's just going to have to look raw for a while. Also, the brackets aren't quite as solid as I'd like (there's an annoying bit of side-to-side wobble), so I'm also going to look into some bracing for the bottom legs. But for $50 worth of materials and a couple hours' worth of work, it's not bad.
After using the above configuration for about an hour, I decided there was just too much neck strain going on, so I tried eliminating the upper portion and just going with the lower. I liked it so much that I tore apart the upper part and repurposed it as a brace for the lower legs:
I like this configuration much better, and the legs are now rock-solid, so I think I'm going to stick with it. I might build a smaller stand for my laptop so it will sit a little higher. The monitor on the right is just about perfect, but the laptop feels a little low. Work in progress...
Decided to go ahead and put the quarter-round trim on, and stain the whole thing again.
I think when I make one for the office, I'll just do some spray-on lacquer instead of messing with the stain.
Posted by Tom, 7/3/2011 1:57:16 PM (Permalink). 0 Comments. Leave a comment...